A Message from the Building Ministry at Hope Bible Church
Hope Bible Church (HBC) has grown from just five families from its beginning in 1997 to around 140 families and 400 people today. We currently lease our building in the heart of Columbia, MD, but, particularly given our steady growth, we need to plan for our future once our lease ultimately expires, which necessitates our need to acquire land in the area where we can build our permanent home. Land prices being what they are however, we are continuously praying that the Lord would touch the hearts and minds of local landowners who would recognize the benefits of donating land to HBC.
If this has piqued your curiosity and/or desire, please read the following FAQs. If at any time you have questions, please contact Ross Levin.
How much land is needed?
In order to build facilities with adequate parking and surrounding permeable soil, we anticipate needing approximately 25 acres. Smaller parcel donations would certainly be welcomed, however, as HBC could later sell them and apply the proceeds to the building process, while you, the landowner could still participate in the benefits of your donation.
Why should I donate land when I could easily sell it?
- By donating some of your land you would actually be investing in eternity.
- People’s eternal destinies are being changed as a result of what God is doing at Hope Bible Church.
- We are seeing many people repenting from sin and being reconciled to God by faith, and they are now hungry to understand and apply God’s word—the Bible—to their everyday lives. Investing in that ministry yields dividends now in the form of people growing in godliness, strong families, and a restoration of the moral fabric that we used to take for granted in our society. But the eternal dividends are far greater!
- Through our ministry at home and abroad, numerous souls are passing from eternal damnation to eternal fellowship with the God of the universe!
- As Jesus advised in the Sermon on the Mount, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
What other benefits can donors realize?
More immediate advantages to donating some of your land include offsetting the tax you would pay on the sale of other acreage, and ensuring that your family’s property is not completely gobbled up by developers. However, if you desire to invest your property in what God is doing, the spiritual benefits will far outweigh the temporal advantages.
Why donate to HBC? Aren’t all churches the same?
No, they’re not.
- People from many backgrounds drive to HBC, in some cases well over an hour each Sunday, for two primary reasons: (1) to hear the Bible preached uncompromisingly, taught faithfully, and applied consistently and lovingly to their lives; and (2) because our people are genuinely loving and caring even to newcomers.
- The Bible is central to HBC in more than just our name. We agree with the Apostle Paul, who said “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” The Bible is the source not just of what we believe and teach, but it is also our manual for living and ministering. Our people are hungry for it and being transformed by it.
- We believe in expository preaching, which is explaining the meaning of the entire Bible, including its application to our lives, without skipping over the parts that may seem controversial or hard to understand, and without mixing it with human philosophies. It is God’s infallible word to us, and we accept it as His powerful truth.
- We are an independent church, and God has uniquely blessed us with an extremely diverse congregation: African-Americans, Caucasians, Hispanics, Asians, and people from a wide variety of religious and cultural backgrounds are members of HBC. But we all have in common a hunger for the word of God and a desire to please God in our lives. We place a heavy emphasis on building strong families, as well as helping husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, and children to love and serve one another as God designed.
- Our vision for future ministry includes establishing a Bible institute, where people can be trained more formally in the Scriptures, and also to help start like-minded churches at home and abroad.
Why donate acreage to Hope Bible Church now?
- We believe that God would have us reach out to the exploding population of central Howard County. And although we have been saving money for a future home, there’s a real possibility that by the time we will have saved enough to purchase land, the land will have been set aside for other uses. If you were to donate land to us now, we would be able to use the next several years to proceed through the steps required to build on it. It would then become available to us at about the time when our numerical growth and financial resources would make constructing our own facility both necessary and feasible.
- You could realize tax benefits now.
We would love to meet with you to explore this issue further. Of course, we want to serve your spiritual needs, as well, so please join us on Sunday mornings at 11:00 and see for yourself what Hope Bible Church is all about.
May God give you wisdom as you consider this need. Thank you for reading this request.